Frequently Asked Questions About Criminal Law

At G. M. Gabry Law, criminal defense attorney Gary Michael Gabry has decades of experience successfully defending individuals charged with a wide array of felonies and misdemeanors in Michigan. From homicide and sex offenses to drugs, domestic violence and drunk driving, he has handled it all. He is also a former prosecutor and former chairman of the Michigan Parole Board. The in-depth knowledge he has gained makes him a trusted resource to answer your questions and defend your rights. Call 269-389-9113 for help today.

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding criminal law:

If I'm arrested, shouldn't I tell my side of the story to the police?

No, you have the right to remain silent, and it is critical that you use this right. Wait to tell your side of the story to your criminal defense attorney. If you share too much information with the police, they can and will use the information against you. In fact, law enforcement will frequently lie or use other deceitful techniques to try to trick you into confessing to an alleged crime. Don't give them any ammunition. Instead, call a lawyer like Gary immediately.

I was only charged with a misdemeanor, so do I really need an attorney?

Yes, you do need an attorney. Whether you are facing a serious felony charge or a so-called "minor" misdemeanor charge, a conviction can have a host of significant effects on your life. Take a drunk driving charge, for instance. DUI/OWI has become so common that many people don't give this offense a second thought. However, if you are convicted, the penalties can potentially include jail time, the loss of your driver's license, steep fees and increased insurance premiums. Plus, a criminal conviction of any kind will go on your record, potentially affecting your job opportunities, your eligibility for loans, your housing options, your reputation and much more.

Will a criminal charge remain on my record forever?

Yes, an arrest or conviction will remain on your record unless you take action to clear it. If you were convicted of a nonviolent misdemeanor, you may be able to have the offense removed from your record through a process called expungement. Once an offense is expunged, you can legally tell prospective employers and others that you were never convicted of that crime.

Get More Answers In A Free Consultation

For specific legal counsel tailored to your unique situation, call G. M. Gabry Law at 269-389-9113 or send us an email. We serve clients in Kalamazoo and throughout Southwest Michigan.

Free Initial Consultation | Credit Cards Accepted